Summer Pick & Mix: Choose from 4 special offers
Freephone: 0800 0590 905
Int: +44 (0)800 0590 905



up to 2

Aero Plus

up to 2

Vista Plus

up to 4


up to 6


up to 4

Mystery Motorhomes

up to 6

Campers for sale

Bunk Campers Driver Eligibility

Driver Eligibility & Restrictions Hero Image

Perhaps the most important part to hiring a campervan, is to make sure you’re covered with a licence that allows you to drive a motorhome in the UK or Ireland.  That’s why, we have done the work to make sure you know if you’re covered for your trip.

Read below some of our most common questions, important driving criteria and anything else you need to know before you get your keys.

Can you drive a motorhome on a car licence in the UK or Ireland?

Yes! At Bunk Campers, all of our campervans and motorhomes for hire in the UK and Ireland are under 3500kg so can be driven with a normal ‘B’ car driving licence.

What sort of licence will I need to hire a campervan in the UK or Ireland?

To hire a campervan in the UK or Ireland, Driver(s) must hold a full valid manual driving licence for at least 24 months that entitles you to drive a European category B vehicle or equivalent up to 3500kg GMW.

If your driving licence is not in English or issued in the UK or EEA or Switzerland, then an international driving licence is required. A certified translation may be accepted depending on the country where the original licence was issued.

How old do you have to be to hire a campervan in the UK or Ireland?

Drivers aged 21-80 years can hire a campervan or motorhome with Bunk Campers provided they meet the usual driving licence criteria outlined in our terms and conditions.

Please note, we are unable to hire to undergraduates and/or students under 25 years of age.

Can I Drive a Camper in the UK or Ireland with penalty points?

You must declare at the time of booking any endorsements or penalties on your driving licence. All drivers are subject to insurance approval and there may be some instances where Bunk Campers are unable to provide cover for you as a driver, based on your driving history (e.g. If you have more than 6 penalty points imposed on your driving licence). See our terms and conditions for more information.

Do you meet criteria?

If you do not hold a driving licence that meets the above criteria, please contact our team so that we can check with our insurers if we can offer driving insurance for you.

We are unable to offer driving insurance for any driver who has not held a valid driving licence for over 2 years or who holds a driving licence valid for automatic transmission only.

What do I need to bring before I pick up my camper?

All drivers must be present for collection of your motorhome. You will need to bring the following to the rental depot before you pick up:

  • 2 Separate forms of photographic ID (Passport & Driver Licence)
  • Any accompanying documents with driver licence (i.e. counterpart)

If you have a UK driving licence, we are required to check the counter part of your driving licence which is stored on the DVLA website. To do this, please bring your national insurance numberdriving licence number and postcode to the depot for check-in. This will ensure we can check the counterpart of your driving licence.

UK driving licence holders can also log in to the DVLA website in advance (https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licenceand receive a check code which will allow us to view your counterpart. Simply bring the code with you for check in and we will do the rest (N.B This is a one-time check code so please don’t test it to see if it worked!)

Alternatively, you can access the DVLA website yourself and print the counterpart of your driving licence within 48 hours of check-in and present it at the depot.

We are unable to insure you to drive any of our vehicles if we are not able to check your counterpart driving licence details.

All paper licences issued before 1998 are still valid.

Northern Ireland

If you have a Northern Ireland driving licence, we require both the photo card of your driving licence and the paper counterpart.


Please note there are some restrictions to your rental cover that apply due to insurance regulations or legislation in the markets we operate in.

Occupation Restrictions to rent a campervan in the UK or Ireland

The following occupations will need prior approval to hire a campervan in the UK or Ireland:

  • Undergraduates and/or students under 25
  • Anyone wholly or partly engaged in professional entertainment or professional sports occupations (including musicians, sports personalities, entertainers etc.)
  • Service personnel born outside of the United Kingdom if they have held their full driving licence for less than twenty-four months.
  • Courier services, express mail or parcel delivery if the vehicle is to be used for business purposes.
  • Fast food establishments (including food delivery) if the vehicle is to be used for business purposes.
  • Motor factors if the vehicle is to be used for business purposes.
  • Wholesale or daily newsagent deliveries if the vehicle is to be used for business purposes.
  • General dealers or street and/or market traders if the vehicle is to be used for business purposes.
  • Jockeys and persons connected with racing, gaming/gambling industries or associated press.

Can I drive my motorhome or campervan off road?

Bunk Campers campervans and motorhomes can only be driven on sealed or bitumen roads. Don’t be tempted to off road in a campervan!

N.B: Driving is not permitted on the Connor Pass, County Kerry, Ireland 

Prohibited use is based on the safety of you and the vehicle and includes things like:

  • Natural disasters, weather-based events or other major circumstances.
  • Pushing or towing any vehicle, trailer, boat or other object unless authorised by Apollo Europe
  • Racing, pace-making, speed trials, driving in a dangerous, wilful or reckless manner
  • Driving the Vehicle in an unsafe or unroadworthy condition
  • Driving the Vehicle on unsealed and non-public roads
  • Driving the Vehicle on any and all unnumbered roads and highways

For a list of prohibited uses, see our terms and conditions.

Can I drive my campervan to Mainland Europe?

Yes. We offer Mainland Europe Travel Cover for your motorhome rental. Simply add the Mainland Europe Travel Cover when booking. Contact the team for more information. 

Did we answer your question?

At Bunk Campers travel is our business and we aim to make campervan and motorhome hire as simple as possible. That’s why we try to answer every one of your questions before your trip.

If anything else comes to mind, be sure to check our FAQ section, read our plan your trip holiday advice or email us for more information.  

Why Choose Bunk?

  • Fuel Efficiency
  • Unlimited Mileage
  • Depots Nationwide
  • Discounted Ferries
  • One Way Rentals