Bunk Campers Milestones – Our History
We take pride in offering a unique holiday experience and we have a unique story of how Bunk Campers came to be the company it is today.
As we celebrate our 15th Anniversary in 2022, it’s good to look back, from the beginning when our founders created Bunk Campers in 2007, right up to today. Here are our key milestones:
- 2007: Our founders Keith Charlton and Louise Corken have just experienced a holiday of a lifetime touring Australia and New Zealand in a campervan and return to Ireland to find there was no option to do so. Identifying the gap in the market, Bunk Campers is born! Using £50,000 of owner capital to open two Bunk Campers campervan rental sites in Belfast and Dublin. Our initial fleet included a total of 5 campers and one van.
- 2009: Bunk Campers were able to accelerate our inbound tourist capture through selling via international tour operators. By 2009 our fleet had expanded to 20 vehicles and 5 different campervan types.
- 2010: We expanded overseas! Bunk Campers rental depot opens in Scotland, adding 15 a further vehicles to the fleet. Our total fleet size is now 50 vehicles.
- 2013: We acquired and integrated Nomad Campervans. This helped to provide Bunk Campers with operational synergies and simultaneously increase employee knowledge of campervan manufacture within our organisation.
- 2014: Bunk Campers continues to expand further, as we open our London Depot. This added an additional 20 vehicles to our fleet.
- 2015: The Camperworks online store is launched! We now sell spare parts and motorhome accessories to further our product offering in the campervan world, providing a one-stop-shop for all your road trip needs.
- 2017: The launch of the Camperco Showroom, selling new and ex-hire motorhomes and campervans direct to customers.
- 2018: Camperco Group and Bunk Campers is acquired by Australian motorhome group Apollo Tourism and Leisure (ATL). Apollo are a titan of the motorhome industry and are one of the world’s largest RV companies with rental operations in Australia, New Zealand, and Canada.
- 2019: Apollo Tourism and Leisure opens the first European mainland locations in Germany and France, beginning the expansion into Europe.
- 2020: The COVID-19 pandemic brings the world and the travel and tourism industry to a complete stop. Bunk Campers are forced cease vehicle hire for several months, until restrictions slowly reopen, and we find a new renewed passion for motorhome holidays. While welcoming international visitors is restricted the local markets respond by the mighty staycation
- 2022: The world is beginning to open again, and international travel resumes slowly but surely. And Bunk Campers turns 15! Check out our promotions page to see our special offers that you can benefit from here.
Why hire a motorhome with Bunk Campers?
Our UK Motorhome Hire Depots are situated across the UK and Ireland helping make embarking upon your campervan holiday as convenient as possible for your adventure.
We have a wide range of 2 – 6 berth motorhomes available so you can discover anywhere in the UK and Ireland in as much comfort and style as you please, for any budget. To book with Bunk Campers use the quote and book button on our website, email [email protected] or call our team on +44(0)2890813057